Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Busy Days



This week seems to be busier than last. Although, I must admit that it feels that way almost every week. Yesterday, we held another round of cataloguing. The four volunteers and I worked from 1 to 4 pm. We're working our way through the World War I collection of Sgt. Charles Beaver. Personally, I've spent the last two work sessions cataloguing items from his housewife (sewing kit)...buttons and safety pins mostly.




Last Saturday, we had our special presentation entitled Early Black Schools in Georgetown 1868-1966. Dr. Farney, who had written her dissertation on the history of schools in Georgetown, found through her research that Black schools in the community existed about 25 years earlier than had been thought. It was a very interesting presentation. I know that I've heard a number of people talk about how much they enjoyed it.


So, what are we doing this week that's so busy? Today, I meeting with our webmaster-- we're in the process of revamping our website. This afternoon I've got a meeting with an historian from Austin who is doing research on slave cabins in Williamson County. I've gathered together some information, but we also have images of two different slave cabins in our collection. I'm going to share those with her. Tonight is also our first meeting for the upcoming Chuckwagon Cook-off. Mickie is going to be at the Sun City Non-profit Fair most of tomorrow. Plus, tomorrow night is the board meeting. Then, some history students from Southwestern are coming by on Friday morning to talk about the Dan Moody/KKK trial. I think that they're going to do a class project on the trial. I've got about 13 things on my to-do list. I'd better get-to crackin.



No comments: