Thursday, October 29, 2009

Scary!

I spent all day yesterday transferring all of my software, documents, etc. from my old computer to my Brand New One. The old computer predates the start of my employment at the Museum. It ran great...until a couple of months ago. All of the sudden, it started moving slowly. Sometimes it would take up to 10 minutes to open a Word document or a Photoshop file. Then, to print? For get about it.

I ordered a new computer in early October. It was delivered last week, but with two days of archaeology events, I didn't have time to install everything until yesterday. I was mainly worried about transferring information from our collections/membership database, called PastPerfect. My computer works as the network from which all the other staff members access the program and information. I had to backup all the information, install all the new software, restore the backed up information, make the files to PastPerfect networked (or "share" them) with the other computers, THEN reconnect everyone else's computers to PastPerfect. There's a couple of little glitches, but all in all, it was well worth the way. This Brand New Computer is super-fast. I love it!

Speaking of scary...Make sure you join us tomorrow night for Walking Ghost Tours of the Downtown Courthouse Square. Tickets are $10 each, and tours are at 7:00, 7:30, 8:00 and 8:30.

No comments: